Friday, November 6, 2020

Ten Questions to... Michael Louis (Shadow Assembly)

 

In the week of both the US Presidential Election and Halloween, it’s only appropriate that the “land of the free” has just produced not one but two great gothic albums, with the long-awaited comeback album from The Wake plus a sophomore set from the Shadow Assembly project led by Michael Louis. A multi-instrumentalist and  songwriter, Louis worked in a variety of genres before making a breakthrough with the debut album from his goth/deathrock solo project Chronic Twilight, which attracted fans of the renascent traditional gothic rock genre and resulted in a collaboration with Sonsombre’s Brandon Pybus which in turn produced the first Shadow Assembly album Ghostcrawl. With Pybus taking care of vocals and mastering and Louis doing virtually everything else, the combination was highly promising but the slightly sparse sound on some tracks hinted that even better was to come as the pair's relationship flourished.

 


However, for the second Shadow Assembly album, Arcane Fusion, Louis has recruited a wide range of vocalists, from himself and (on one track only this time) Pybus to other stellar figures from the global gothic scene, such as Coast Rica’s Ariel Maniki or Russia’s Andrey Agapitov (of Raven Said fame), so the album showcases the broad range of talent and styles on the guitar-based goth scene in the same way as Kill Shelter’s Damage did for the more atmospheric, electronic-based end of the genre.

 

Fittingly, Arcane Fusion begins with Pybus’ only vocal which is typically (and deliberately) somewhat overblown, over a typically twangy no-nonsense gothic rock bassline and deathrock guitar riff from Louis to create a strong opening, only for the project to move into a completely different stratosphere on track two with Marselle Hodges’ stunningly mesmerizing vocal on My Favourite Plaything, surely one of the dark scene’s greatest earworms of the past few years. Sumptuously multi-tracked over a gloriously full yet subtle Louis soundscape, Hodges sounds like a latter-day Kate Bush who has chosen the path of ethereal darkness over mere pop weirdness and instantly shatters any lingering disappointment that Arcane Fusion won’t simply be Ghostcrawl mk 2.

 

Whether delivering trademark vocals (October Burns Black’s Rod Hanna’s slow and portentous Woman Torn or Andrey Agapitov’s evocative faster-paced Lost Places, Forgotten Faces) or trying something new (Ken Magerman’s dramatic Release The Ravens or Nino Sable’s esoteric Perfect Day reminiscent Green Fairie), Louis’ guest vocalists all bring their own lyrical slant and musical direction to his varied backing tracks, with the instrumentalist keeping things firmly on the rockier side of things on My Ophelia, whilst showcasing his more eclectic side on Dr Dealer, the other song on which he himself provides vocals.

 

Intrigued to find out more about the genesis and development of this ever-improving project, I reached out to Michael and was delighted when he agreed to be the latest guest in our “Ten Questions To …” feature, to give the lowdown on this and his other projects.

 

Arcane Fusion is available via Bandcamp and is highly recommended!

 ______________________________________________________________________________

 

1.       After a series of projects in various alternative styles you began working in the darkwave genre with Experimenting with Dawn in 2016. What drew you to a more gothic sound?

 

·       I’ve been drawn to Gothic music as far back as I remember, but it’s true that I also love Glam, (some) Progressive, (some) Metal, Dark Ambient, Funk, New Wave, Punk, and 60’s Garage, to name a few.  In short, I suppose you can call me a Rush nerd who loves “dark” / minor progressions delivered with Punk attitude.  Rush was my first influence that got me to love music, in general.  All the other styles I grew to love, reflect different aspects of my personality. 

·       I played with a few different Gothic bands in the Phoenix/L.A. area in the mid-late 1990’s but I never did my own Gothic project until 2016.  It was the right time for me as I was freshly divorced and had the time and resources to do things on my own. 

 

2.       You began Chronic Twilight as a solo project the following year and the debut album Hymns for Heliophobes with its classic deathrock overtones became a word of mouth success within the gothic rock fraternity. Did you enjoy doing a solo project and being able to take care of all aspects of the release?

 

·       I have a love/hate affair with being a one-man-band.  I like not having band drama and perpetual arguments over silly things, but I longed for someone to collaborate with.  While I live in what is touted as “Music City USA” (Nashville, TN), it is a musical graveyard (pardon the pun) for Gothic musicians. 

·       I also get zero support from the local Goth scene.  Local DJs refuse to play any of my music, for whatever seemingly petty reason, so I am left to my own devices.  I am proud of the fact that I am capable of doing it all on my own but collaborating with like-minded others is forever a desire of mine.   

 

3.       You subsequently began working with Brandon Pybus of Sonsombre and you put out the first Shadow Assembly album as a joint collaboration last year. Which tracks on that debut were you particularly proud of?

 

·       I am particularly proud of Death Lights, Languish, and Cold.  They are my favorite tracks on the album.  I never have any expectations in mind when collaborating, but with Brandon there was a high level of trust there in knowing that he would work hard to pull something very cool off.  And that, he did. 

 

4.       Why did you decide to use a wider variety of vocalists this time around on Arcane Fusion? Was this always the intention?

 

·       It wasn’t always the intention.  It happened because Brandon was busy with Sonsombre taking off as (expectedly) well as it did.  He didn’t have time for another full Shadow Assembly album, which is what I was aiming for again.  So, I figured why not branch out and work with other vocalists who I respect, and also make some new friends in the process. 

 

5.       How did the songwriting process take place? Did you send a backing track to each vocalist and give them freedom to devise their own melody and lyrics?  How did you decide which backing track to send to which artist?

 

·       You are exactly right in that I send finished instrumentals to folks, letting them take the reins from there on lyrics and vocal melodies.  As for who got which track, I write music that I think will fit someone’s voice and style, while perhaps breaking them out of their usual box a bit.  There were a few vocalists I initially contacted who didn’t end up on the project, mostly because of timing (COVID19 hit during production crunch time), so I found some other vocalists who were interested in singing on the songs that otherwise needed new homes. 

 

6.       You’ve got a really impressive line-up of talent from all around the world on the album, from Russia to Costa Rica, but there are two tracks which you sing yourself. Were there any vocalists who weren’t able to collaborate with you this time for whom those songs were originally intended? Are there any vocalists whom you’d like to work with in the future?

 

·       Yes, My Ophelia was not originally written for me, and was written late in the game.  I couldn’t nail down anyone to work with it on such a short timeline, so I went ahead and finished it.  Dr. Dealer was one I wrote for myself and was supposed to be the only song with yours truly singing on it.  I really wanted to get those particular lyrics off my chest. 

·       There are definitely vocalists I would love to work with in the future!!  Too many to name.  I would love to work with the folks that I couldn’t quite cross wires with this time around like Yvette Winkler of Vaselyne, Dru Allen of This Ascension, and Albie Mason of Scary Black.  

 

7.       You’re a multi-instrumentalist but particularly known for your innovative basslines, a facet of classic goth music often overlooked by modern projects in the genre. Can you tell us a bit about your bass set-up? Who were your bass heroes growing up?

 

·       Oh now, this is my favorite topic!  First off, thank you for the kind words about my basslines.  Bass is my favorite instrument, and it’s what I write all my music on (with scattered exceptions).  It is usually the first instrument I track and use as a blueprint for everything else. 

·       My bass set-up is pretty simple.  I typically use either my Fender Geddy Lee American Jazz bass or my Fender Precision American bass through a Geddy Lee YYZ SansAmp pedal, a Boss bass chorus pedal, and then direct to the preamp.  Sometimes I will bypass the pedals and just effect a raw bass track with the digital effects I have in my DAW. 

·       My first and foremost bass influence was, and always will be, Geddy Lee of Rush.  Following him would be Simon Gallup, Stuart Morrow, Steve Harris, and Mick Karn. 

·       I started off in life as a drummer, then soon taught myself how to play bass, as I was obsessed with all things Rush as a youngster.  A bit later on in my teen years, I taught myself guitar and took voice lessons out of necessity, in order to write songs and convey ideas to former bandmates, over the years. 

 

8.       Brandon recently described your musical style as “esoteric” and I personally detect a psychedelic aspect to the sound to some of your songs. How would you describe your musical style?

 

·       I suppose I would describe my music as being made by a Rush fan who loves the darkness.  I like to sometimes try different progressions and effects to manipulate sounds accordingly.  What I envision in my head when I write a song is hardly ever how it turns out, which is fine with me.  I like to mesh different influences and styles to create something that hopefully at least ends up dark and danceable.

 

9.       When you come up with a new musical idea, do you instinctively feel that it would be more appropriate for Chronic Twilight or Shadow Assembly, or is it just a question of timing, i.e. the project which you are working on at the time.

 

·       I do have a gut feeling about songs as I write them.  Also, if I write a song knowing that I won’t be the one singing it, I feel a wider sense of freedom in what I can do, musically.  Chronic Twilight songs are written for my voice to sing, from the start.  I like the freedom of collaborating, so my approach is more open when writing for Shadow Assembly. 

 

10.   You’ve recently announced that Chronic Twilight is expanding to a duo, with Kyle Andrew joining the project. Which aspects will you each be responsible for, and does it signal a change of direction for the band?

 

·       There is going to be a DEFINITE change in direction, but for the better in my humble opinion.  We’re still making dark music, but Kyle is an amazing vocalist with range and style capabilities that I can only dream of having.  He will primarily be responsible for lyrics and vocal melodies, as well as any music he wants to bring to the table as well.  Thus far, we have some songs in the works that are totally his, as well as co-writes and they are all great.  I couldn’t be happier with having him as a collaborator.  He was well worth the wait! 

 

                                     Many thanks again to Mike for his fascinating answers!

No comments:

Post a Comment