Monday, April 11, 2022

Black Angel - The Black Rose album review and a further Ten Questions to Matt Vowles

 

It’s less than three years since the unusually fully-formed new act Black Angel burst onto the goth revival scene, with Matt Vowles’ transatlantic crew immediately impressing with their dark atmosphere, earworm melodies and in particular, the uber high quality production values on their debut album The Widow.

Actor/singer Corey Landis replaced the more theatrical Rob Steffen for second album Kiss Of Death, a more homogenous set of songs which mixed up-tempo gothabilly with slow burning goth rock to forge a unique template which illuminated both 2021’s concept album Prince of Darkness and the new release, this month’s The Black Rose.




Whilst there’s a cosy familiarity throughout The Black Rose in the song-writing style, with its easily recognisable musical tropes, strong melodies and somewhat cliched lyrics, the production and mastering is very on-point, and Landis’ velvety croon is the perfect icing on a classic gothic rock cake, so whilst there is nothing startlingly original going on here, when the overall package is so enjoyable, it would be pedantically churlish to quibble on that score.

The scene is set with first single and opening track on The Black RoseBreathe with its insistent stomping beat and riffs which remain consistent throughout the song, eschewing the traditional verse/chorus/verse straitjacket, revealing a band fully confident in its own skin four albums in, whilst retaining the spirit of legendary 80’s albums like Phantasmagoria and Floodland which inspired the Bristolian Vowles to form the band in the first place.



Title track The Black Rose tightens things up a notch, with its gothabilly drumming, grungy descending riffs and a strong multi-tracked semi-falsetto chorus taking seasoned Black Angel fans to more familiar territory. Recent single All Or Nothing is arguably the band’s most obviously influenced track yet, where the distillation of Love-era The Cult is very much to the fore (Vowles took the band’s name from the eponymous track on that album), and Billy Duffy himself would surely be proud of the riffing on this new track as Vowles effortlessly slides up and down the strings as Landis’ vocal theatrics match Astbury’s “I’m On Fire” wailings of over thirty years ago as he hits the higher octave. After the beautiful Take Me Down, with its slower pace and quieter, more reflective ambiance, with Landis again in more subtle, magisterial form,  Look Me In The Eye returns with a class goth rock chord structure and motif, but developing this time into a huge chorus where Maneesha Jones makes a welcome return on backing vocals.



Sinner begins with another wonderfully rich guitar tone and is another song that builds from effectively humble beginnings to bigger chorus, with Vowles, the master of guitar dynamics, adding some Bauhaus harmonic atmospherics in the background. Carnival Man starts more laconically, over a swirling backing which is vaguely reminiscent of The Stranglers’ Golden Brown, and it is certainly the most experimental track on the album, but normal service is resumed with arguably the album’s best track, Intoxicated, which features all the classic Black Angel touches, a sultry Landis vocal, driving bassline, in-your-face catchy riffing and memorable chorus with more than a touch of classic I Wanna Be Your Dog honky-tonk swagger. The album finale, Battle Cry starts with a mournful guitar arpeggio and falling bassline combination, building to a slow-burning (think A Rider In the Snow rather than Spiritwalker) epic soldier’s lament, a slight discordance in the chorus and a sudden-ish ending adding to the love song's poignancy, to round off another album of mature and accomplished gothic rock.

I was delighted when Matt Vowles immediately agreed to submit to another Ten Question interrogation for this blog, and his answers illuminate this latest album’s genesis and hint at major changes ahead for a project which has been synonymous with quality over a four album career to date. Thanks as ever for Matt for taking the time and trouble to furnish such full and honest responses.

Bandcamp link

___________________________________________________________________________________

 

1.                   New album The Black Rose is Corey’s third album with the band. Do you now write with him in mind, as the songs seem perfect for his range and timbre? And do you do the same for Maneesha’s parts, can you “hear” her voice in your head when you’re writing?

 

MV: Now that this is the fourth album for Corey and I, I will actually do some research into this, normally I just write how I think it should be and I keep my fingers crossed that it’s going to work for Corey but this time around I will actually start listening through the tracks where I think his range is the best and start writing in that key.

2.                   You’ve always handled all instrumentation yourself, but the sleeve notes on the CD credit an additional drummer. Was that just on one or two tracks (Intoxicated would be my guess!), or is this a new direction for Black Angel?

MV: I credited one drummer on the sleeve notes, this person is entirely fictional: my favourite movie of all time is Spinal Tap and on each album I like to credit one of the drummers from the film! If you know the story, different drummers explode on stage all the way through the movie and they keep getting replaced, so I like to pay homage to the film by citing one of those drummers, with a slight name change or spelling change. I still do all the drumming!

3.                   Haha! The new album features a striking monochrome image of clasped hands with ultra-long fingernails, rather than a more predictable film noir photo of a black rose that I was expecting! Why did you choose that image to accompany the new songs?

MV: Choosing album covers takes longer for me than writing and producing a whole album of music. I spend months trying to think what would be the best image for the cover. This time I decided to reach out to a very talented artist, Eshmoon DM, and see if they fancy having a crack it. I had the idea in my head already and over a few months. We managed to get it to a point where I was happy and it looked awesome, I’m probably more particular about the album cover than I am about the music if it comes down to how good it needs to be.

4.                   Have you had offers to produce/master other band’s releases over the past couple of years? Who would you like to produce?

MV: You know I haven’t! I thought someone would’ve reached out and asked me to produce their record! To be honest, with my film career and family career I would never have the time, producing an album, to put your heart and soul into it, takes months and months and you get consumed by it, so, maybe being a bit selfish, I have only got time for my material - and, as soon as I finish one album, I’m right onto the next one.

5.                   Early reviews have picked up on the track Carnival Man, with its fairground organ sound and waltzing Golden Brown feel. Does the positive reception to this track encourage you to take more risks on the next release?

MV: Yes, Carnival Man seems to be going down well, the first person to hear it was Corey and he particularly mentioned that he liked the direction of this new track so I think on the next album, which is going to be called Devil In A Black Dress, I don’t know if I’m going to take more risks but I’m definitely going to be more experimental, although, it needs to stay within the gothic rock lines so it’s going to be a tricky balance but I’ve started writing already, only a week after the last album came out (!) and I’m really excited to see what I can come up with.

6.                   When I interviewed you when the last album was released, you said that the next album would contain a cover of Duran Duran’s The Chauffeur. Will this now go onto the next album, or do you have a bigger cover project planned?

MV: It’s still on the list, I did write a version of the song for the last album but I tried too much to make it sound like the original and there is no way I could ever do that justice, or want to, so I think I need to go in a completely different direction this time, stay tuned…..

7.                   Well-respected scene commentator Simon Lebby commented that many of the tracks on the new album seem to have similar chord progressions or repeated motifs, giving The Black Rose a concept album feel. Was that deliberate?

MV: Definitely not deliberate, on the last album Prince Of Darkness, I tried to keep a theme running throughout but on The Black Rose if there’s any theme or motif that get tagged as repeating themselves or being connected then that’s all by chance.

8.                   You mentioned recently that the band have been approached about a publishing deal. In what ways will that help the band to get to the next level?

MV: We were approached by a major label and we are still in negotiations as to whether we will sign with them or not. It’s important for me to have Black Angel reach a larger audience, it’s not about stardom or money, it’s just about connecting with more people. We’ve had a really great experience on Bandcamp and I think we have the goods to take things further and reach more people, we just don’t have the marketing power, money or expertise to really cast the net wider. It’s really great when you hear from people that say “I was clicking around today and I heard your music and I really like it” or “Somebody told me about you guys and then I listened to the album and I really love it” - so it’s really just having the opportunity to get the music to more people.

9.                   Let’s get to the elephant in the room. Industry lawyers have suggested that it might be wise to change the project’s name to avoid potential litigation from longer-standing projects with a similar name. Do you look on this as a chance to relaunch the band to a new audience? Will you tweak the name or go for something different?

MV: Yes, that definitely is the elephant in the room right now, I never really gave it that much thought before and the music is so oversaturated with bands and from so many different genres but as we have been advised by our legal friends this could be a sticking point in the future. It’s been weighing on me this week whether this is a positive or negative thing, on the negative side it means we need to remove all of all media from all digital streaming platforms which is a task in itself, we then need to re-publish everything with the performing right societies, an even bigger task - and then I have read that there is no guarantee if we re-submit the music whether the big streaming companies will even except it, so the administrative side of this is an absolute nightmare. We also need to keep a connection with the name Black Angel otherwise nobody is going to really know who we are - and to start building a fanbase again is another potential nightmare, we are not looking for new fans, we love the ones we have already:) on the positive side….. I don’t think there is one……

10.               What’s next for the project? Do you have songs in mind for a new album, and will you be playing any live shows in 2022?

MV: Plans for the new album is to make this even better than the last one, the great thing about The Black Rose was I felt really good about every single track on the album, I think on previous albums I’ve always had doubts about some of them, my acid test is when I play the album in the car, do I skip the track or not. Starting a new album is always tough, there’s a very long road ahead, and there is also the pressure of it needing to be better or equally as good as the last one - so my usual process is to find new guitar sounds that inspire me and just start writing, I already have 15 song ideas down over the last couple of weeks and I keep an audio recorder with me so if I get any ideas I drop them down, and then I’ll come in the studio and see if something can blossom from it. As for live, yes Corey and I have chatted about it briefly, we’d love to play some big festivals. A North American tour would be cool, maybe supporting a bigger band - so if there’s anyone out there that wants to play, please drop us a line!

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment